9.26.2010

Project Food Blog Challenge #2: The Classics

As part of Project Food Blog's Challenge #2 we are to tackle a foreign cuisine outside our comfort zone (though, almost anything would be outside mine).

I've chosen a Scandinavian dessert called Upside-Down Lingonberry Muffins. My husband and I both have Norwegian ancestry, plus we currently live in a Norwegian community. We are not originally from this area, so have enjoyed learning many of the fabulous Scandinavian dishes. Every fall we partake in kumla suppers and our neighbor often shares her blue-ribbon kringla.

My featured ingredient is the lingonberry. Lingonberries are a staple in Scandinavian recipes. They are a small red berry found in mountainous areas of the Northern Hemisphere. These berries are often used with meats and baked goods. They are similar to cranberries and are just as healthy. This recipe, originally printed in A Lingonberry Cookbook, calls for fresh ones, but unfortunately, those can't be found in Iowa, so I slipped in lingonberry preserves instead. I must point out that finding lingonberry preserves is also no small feat. I dragged my kids all over central Iowa before locating that special jar.



To make Upside-Down Lingonberry Muffins, start by mixing the dry ingredients below.



Once mixed, add the following wet ingredients. The final batter will be lumpy.



This recipe makes 12 small muffins, but I decided to make six large ones instead. Make sure you grease the muffin tray first. Add the preserves to the bottom of the muffin indents, then pour the batter on top. The original recipe also required sugar and butter be added to the berries within each indent, but I left this out since I was using preserves. I did learn that this batter rises quite a bit, so you may want to leave about an inch at the top.



Pop into the oven for about 25 minutes at 400 degrees. Since I made six large ones, the 25 minutes worked perfectly. If you make smaller ones, 20 minutes may be more appropriate. Remove from the oven and allow to cool about ten minutes. Place a plate top facing down onto muffins, then flip muffins over onto plate (gently, of course). You may have to scoop out the extra berries and place them on top.



My favorite part of this recipe is the berry smell while they are cooking. Wow! The final result actually has a biscuit taste and texture. The salty texture of the muffin combined with the sweet berries is a great combination. Perfect with tea or a coffee break.

I am really veering from my blog intent by including photographs, but I wanted to show you that I did indeed bake these fabulous muffins.





Recipe gently borrowed from About.com: Scandinavian Food. Original recipe from the Bellingham Damekor's A Lingonberry Cookbook.

55 comments:

Mardi Michels said...

Absolutely spectacular Lisa. You may as well just go all the way to the end and collect the $10k!

Jeanne said...

Beautiful work on this challenge! You've inspired me to conduct my own lingonberry-hunting expedition! I'd love to try one (or six) of these muffins.

Eileen said...

You go girl! Awsome post...

Unknown said...

Thanks to all of you for the early encouragement! You're all so kind!!

Jan/Thella @ I Love. Therefore, I Cook. said...

that is a fantastic presentation of the challenge :) grats for making it to this round and here's hoping we get to the third. all the best!

Jean said...

I love your illustrations. :-)

Nice work on the cake, too. I would love to have some now. :-)

Shelly Borrell said...

Awesome post Lisa -- I soooo love your angle. And you could never over pour the muffins (like in real life), since you control the drawings. Very impressive. Continued luck to you!

Shelly, Nibbles of Tidbits

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of a lingonberry before, but I love the idea of an upside down muffin! Looks delicious :)

Kate said...

Beautiful, Lisa! I just found a jar of lingonberry preserves and found a weinerschnitzel recipe that says to serve them on the side. I've also been wanting to make Swedish pancakes. Now, I've got a third option. Thanks :-) Kate @ kateiscooking

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

Great post--love the graphics!

Russell at Chasing Delicious said...

This looks scrumptious! Your illustrations are awesome as always, and the real deal looks very delicious. Good luck!

Kristen said...

Your illustrations are phenomenal. Best of luck!!

Island Vittles said...

Great Post! Good luck with the contest -- a fun and interesting read. Theresa

Unknown said...

OMG, I love your beautiful step-by-step illustrations, and the recipe, of course! I can't wait to see how you're going to depict your luxury dinner party, so I'm crossing my fingers that you'll make it to the next round!

Anonymous said...

I love how you approached this challenge... your drawings are great!!

Good luck on round 2!

Rajani said...

superb!

Wheels and Lollipops said...

A great post Lisa - you have peaked my curiosity for the third challenge. Good Luck though you won't need it.

Katerina said...

I loved your upside down muffins! I am sure you will pass this 2nd challenge as well. Good luck!

Unknown said...

you are a genius, do you draw all this by hand or graphics?? really well done:))) way to Go.

Sprigs of Rosemary said...

Just beautiful . . . I'm voting for you again!

Sprigs of Rosemary said...

Beautiful . . . you got my vote (again!)

Unknown said...

Nesrine-I draw them by hand and did add some text digitally this time. Normally I do all the text by hand too.

singerinkitchen said...

Wowzers. I love your illustrations. How much time does it all take???You are fantastic and you definitely will be getting my vote! Cheers!

Leila said...

Yumm! I am going to have to make these.

IKEA is the place to find lingonberries - if you are lucky enough to have one close. While you are picking some up you have got to stop and have IKEA's famous swedish meatballs with baby potatoes, salad and a side of lingonberry preserves. And don't forget the lingonberry soda to go with your meal. Oh, I'm getting hungry now!

I love lingonberries and am glad to have another recipe to try them in.

Carol Egbert said...

I met my first and only jar of Lingonberries at Ikea...Alas no Ikea nearby. Your muffins and drawings are lovely.

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

Your drawing are beautiful and really make your blog unique. Good luck with #PFB2010. I hope we can both advance to the next round!

Unknown said...

Ciao Genius, voted for you...
check out my post
http://www.foodbuzz.com/project_food_blog/challenges/2/view/904

good luck for us :))))

sians said...

i love your illustrations and the muffin looks yummy.

sending a vote your way :)

Kate @ Savour Fare said...

I just love the drawings, and the muffins look delicious, too! You've got my vote.

Donna @ My Tasty Journey said...

SOOOO very adorable!! SUCH A nice job...you got my vote!

Delishhh said...

Those pictures are amazing!

Torviewtoronto said...

delicious post

Tanantha @ I Just Love My Apron said...

I like the drawing instruction! I didn't partake on the challenge but love to read others' beautiful presentation. You've got my vote!

City Share said...

This is my first time visiting your blog, and I'm loving it. Your illustrations are fabulous. What a great way to simplify recipes and make them visual. The Lingonberry muffins look great. You've got my vote.

Leslie Uhl said...

Another vote 4 U! Love the recipe, the drawings, and I will support you (while eating lingonberry muffins) to the end of the contest!

Joanne Choi said...

so glad you're in this round Lisa...you absolutely deserve it with your fantastic illustrations. Beautiful work as always. You have my vote!

Monique@She's Going The Distance said...

omg I love your blog!! And this sounds awesome. Lingonberries are so good.

Good luck, I voted for your entry! I hope we see each other in Round 3 :)

Christo Gonzales said...

good luck - you get my vote and my tweet!

Stephanie said...

Awesome!!! I'll vote for you, cause you're awesome!! :)

Deborah Dowd said...

Lisa I love your whole approach to blogging. I have never tried lingonberries, but these muffins look amazing! You can count my vote!

Jennifer- Adventuresome Kitchen said...

Great post! I used to work with a lot of Scandinavians. Love Lingonberries!

Home Cooking Memories said...

I absolutely adore your blog and your art. I'm so glad I found it. Best wishes in Round #2, you definitely deserve my vote.

Amy K. said...

holy crap! i LOVE your drawings! and i was wondering if you sell your work and lo and behold i see a link to "my shop"!!

great post and it's nice to see hand drawn illustrations!

House of Annie said...

Voted.

I admire your dedication in going all over to find that elusive lingonberry preserve.

Amelia PS said...

your drawings are always so cool. Feels like a printed book!
You have one of my votes. (See my entry here: http://www.foodbuzz.com/project_food_blog/challenges/2/view/869)

Anna said...

Loved your drawings, what an adorable site. Good luck in this round. Have a great week.

riceandwheat said...

I love your unique take on food blogging, so I'll be honest and say that I plan to vote for you every round, since I'm so excited to see how you tackle each challenge! That being said, what a great choice of recipe and I probably don't even need to say how awesome those illustrations are. Good luck!

the decorated cookie said...

aaaaah! I love illustrated recipes! You're ridiculously talented. So have my vote :)

Unknown said...

This method is definitely unique to the contest, I love your illustrations. You've got my vote, I want to see how you sketch the remaining challenges.

Lick My Spoon

Rachel Joyce said...

I agree with Mardi. Your blog is fantastic, the illustrations, AMAZING. Here's to all the bloggers that went Swedish and good luck (but I don't think you'll need it.) You've got my vote!

sweet swallows said...

I love your illustrations! You've got my vote, no doubt. Mmmmm, muffins...

Lindsey @ Hot Polka Dot said...

I love your drawings! You don't see enough drawings on food blogs and they add something special to each post. And this cake looks delicious! You have my vote and good luck!

Brooke said...

I love the handmade touches of hand drawn pictures. It gives your site such a lovely, quirky charm. You definitely have my vote! So glad to have found you through PFB!

Dan Clapson said...

Wow, I love your illustrations, and the dessert picture at the end of the post too, of course! Great read! 1 vote for you

Lori Lynn said...

Totally delightful post! Looking forward to experiencing your artful luxury dinner party!
LL