10.16.2010

PFB Challenge #5: Recipe Remix

Pizza Box (with text)

New ideas evolve from the combination of two or more existing ideas. This is true in cooking, design, art, and any area involving problem solving. Today's challenge was the perfect way to show this formula. To "think outside the pizza box" I made a list of my favorite recipes then chose those that would combine well with the pizza ideal (base, sauce, topping).

Pizza slice and heart

Below are three of the results. I've listed ingredients that you can just pick up at the grocery store...or if you're ambitious use a special recipe for individual ingredients.

cucumber salad pizza
cucumber salad pizza ingredients

Cucumber Salad Pizza
This recipe remix evolved from one of my favorite summer snacks...marinated cucumbers on hummus and toast. To make the cucumber salad...mix cucumber slices with equal amounts of oil and vinegar, chopped onion, plus salt and pepper (all to taste). Let sit in refrigerator a couple of hours to chill.

Prepare a flaky crust (croissant dough would be perfect). Once baked (and cooled) spread on hummus (plain or roasted red pepper), then top with cucumber mixture (drain liquid first) and additional chopped red pepper. A special touch...sprinkle feta cheese on top.

Huevos Rancheros Pizza
Huevos Rancheros Pizza Ingredients

Huervos Rancheros Pizza
I love eggs and Mexican food...so huervos rancheros is a great initial combination, but then turn it into a pizza and wa-la! Prepare a pizza crust. Once baked, add layer of refried beans. Top with a verde sauce, chopped onions and jalapeƱo peppers. To finish this pizza add a layer of sunny-side up eggs. Place back in oven long enough to warm toppings up (about 15-20 minutes at 425 degrees). Serve with guacomole and/or sour cream.

Peanut Butter and Jelly Pizza
Peanut Butter and Jelly Pizza Ingredients

Peanut Butter and Jelly Pizza
PB&J is a staple in our house. Why not turn it into a dessert pizza? Prepare a whole wheat dough. Once baked, topped with a 50/50 mixture of cream cheese and peanutbutter. Top with strawberry jelly, then sliced strawberries. Serve with a tall glass of cold milk.

Here are some additional pizza ideas to try...

Bonus Pizza Remix

Pizza on Plate

33 comments:

Island Vittles said...

another cute post! I love your artwork...it brings your food ideas alive! Theresa

Mardi Michels said...

Lisa, I tried and tried (like, six) times) to make a crispy noodle cake for an Asian inspired pizza but it just would 't work. So if you find out, please tell me!

What an interesting take on this challenge - good luck!

Kate said...

FUN ideas! Your artwork is the perfect complement to your ideas too. Although I'm not a huge fan of cucumber salad, I think a version of this is going to find it's way onto our table as my hubby has been asking for Greek pizza... Your hummus is the perfect answer :-) Kate @kateiscooking

Unknown said...

Mardi- I haven't tried an Asian inspired one yet...maybe someone else out here has? Anyone have any luck with this one?! Congrats Mardi for making it to the next round!!

Stephanie said...

I've made a biscuits and gravy pizza! I'll comment again later in the day... I did the "pumpkin patch" thing yesterday... THEN someone called me at 8:30 (on Sunday morning???) so I'm not really awake and stuff. I'll keep voting Lisa, and we're all hoping you keep winning! :))

CrystalsCozyKitchen said...

I think coming up with different pizza ideas is so fun! I've wanted to try an Asian flavor!

the decorated cookie said...

uurghhh! I just ADORE your recipe drawings! I think I can read your posts all day long :) Bravo on your pizzas!

Nancy said...

So cute and great pizza ideas.

Sandra L. Garth said...

Love your artwork and the recipes. What gooey and decadent things would you add to a dessert pizza?

Unknown said...

Sandra- How about making a deep-dish pizza with chocolate ice cream, chocolate chips mixed in and some caramel drizzled on top? :) I always lean towards ice cream when dessert calls.

the decorated cookie said...

Did I mention how much I love this? Oh right, up there. Got my vote!

Lori Lynn said...

Hi Lisa -this is absolutely adorable! Happy to give my vote! Good luck.
LL
P.S. I did make the Asian Pizzette! With crispy noodles!

Jacob's Kitchen said...

Inspired as always! Your art is so perfect for this kind of medium, and is such a refreshing departure from most food blogs. And the pizza sounds delicious. Nicely done! I voted for you, yet again!

Best of luck! Hope to see us both in round 6!! =)

Amelia PS said...

ah the artwork! always gets me :)

Lauren said...

brilliant! love the combinations...especially the cucumber one. That's my style for sure. your drawings always make me smile.

We Are Not Martha said...

Wow, awesome artwork!! And I love the idea of a cucumber salad pizza :)

Sues

Unknown said...

Cute drawings! I like the PB&J idea. :)

Food o' del Mundo said...

What a fun post! You've spun it differently than anyone else. Unique and beautiful. Voting for you now! -Katy

cookeatlove said...

Very unique way of blogging. I thinks its fantastic.

Jazz Rules said...

Your illustrations are mind-bottling once again! You get an A+ from me and a vote in challenge #5! Cheers, Jazz

Marie (Food Nouveau) said...

Love the fact that you went 100% illustrative on this one! It really sets you apart. I'm sure you'll go on to the next round! Good luck!

The Cuisinerd said...

I just absolutely adore your blog and this post is no exception. Keep up the lovely drawings and I hope we both make it to #6!

Cheers!

sweetbittertart said...

Such a wonderful post and approach! I'm new to Foodbuzz and was so happy to find another kindred spirit who draws food! I love the way you combine your art, writing and photography. Just awesome!! Good luck on the challenge and you have my vote for sure! : )

umommy said...

Very creative recipes. And I love your illustrations! you got my vote!

Joanne Choi said...

you have my vote. I LOVE your post....

notyet100 said...

such a cute one,..

Carolyn said...

Great ideas for all of those pizzas!

Adelina said...

What a cute post. I love the combination of flavors as well.

Daydreamer Desserts said...

You totally knocked it out of the park on this one, super creative! :)

Anonymous said...

Another adorable post... I love all of these combos!

Rachel Joyce said...

The cream cheese/peanut butter mixture is super intriguing and I love how easy each of your pizzas are to make. Smart and creative gets my vote. Good Luck!

daphne said...

this is unique. . you're such a genius!like this post=0

Lynn said...

So very clever and wonderful.