1.09.2014

A GINGHAM GARDEN

I was poking around my previous garden blog and came across this little ditty I wrote in 2011. I just love designing around patterns and hope it will inspire you to look for design ideas in all beautiful things.


Something I love to do is pick a fun image, color scheme or object to inspire me in designing a garden. It's a great way to generate ideas, yet help narrow down your plant choices.



I found this gingham image above several months ago and have been aching to design a perennial bed based on it. This is a simple border that you can place along a sunny wall or fence. The peak bloom time is June to July. I'm in zone 4 so have planned it accordingly, but you can take the same principles and design something with plants in your area. Oh, and I chose all my perennials through a fabulous plant database found on the Midwest Groundcovers website.



Now that we're over the holiday hump, it's time to start garden planning!


If you're interested in more articles like this one, plus would like to receive a free copy of my theme garden eBook, please sign up for my email updates here.

2 comments:

Catherine said...

What a fun idea. Lisa. You see patterns and inspiration in places I would never think of. I'm going outside to have another look at that outdoor tablecloth I like so much......

Unknown said...

Thanks Catherine...and I hope your beautiful tablecloth just inspired a new planting design. :)